The Innovation Pact “SMARTWAGONS” aims to develop smart wagons for transporting goods by rail and to increase production capacity in Portugal for their manufacture, as a response to the technological challenges and market gaps in the national rail sector. The development of smartwagons and new high value-added technologies for their production and operation/maintenance will make it possible to increase operational capacity, sustainability and competitiveness, and a range of advantages in the Portuguese rail sector:
- Change the specialization profile by reinventing the production capacity of rail vehicles
- Boosting industry and creating skilled jobs
- Increasing the productive potential and internationalization of technology, products and services
- Improve energy and environmental efficiency for a more competitive and attractive offer
- Smarter, safer and more efficient operations with lower operating/maintenance costs or communication/monitoring problems.
Co-funding: Plano de Recuperação e Resiliência | República Portuguesa | Funded by the European Union | IAPMEI